Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Good Deed

Back when I lived in LA, actually Oak Park, one Saturday morning I went to see a movie at the AMC in Woodland Hills. I parked my car in a rather deserted lot, being the first movie of the day, and as I got out, I looked down and saw a CA driver's license on the ground. I picked it up. There were no other cars parked to the left so I assumed the DL was lost long before I got there. I put the DL in my shirt pocket and headed into the theater.

After the movie I'm sitting in my car in the parking lot, contemplating what to do. Should I mail the DL to the owner, since the address was on the DL. I considered giving it to a police officer. Both of those options would have taken days to return the DL so I decided to return the DL myself. This is what I would have wanted if it were my DL that was lost.

The address was in Venice. I broke out my Thomas' book of maps of LA (which I kept in the car), found the DL address, and plotted my route. I would take Topanga Canyon to the PCH and from there to Venice. I set off, it was like an adventure. Topanga Canyon is a beautiful drive. Once I arrived in Venice it took some navigating before I arrived at the correct address. I knocked on the door but there was no answer. I left the DL in the mailbox. I never knew if the DL ever made it into the correct hands, but I'd like to think so.

No comments: